December 6, 2017
THE WORLD ACADEMY
DR. BRIAN GANDER, SUPERINTENDENT
Dear Families of The World Academy:
I hope this letter finds your families healthy and happy as we approach our Winter break. To that end recent events have required that we review our School Year 2017-18 Academic Calendar.
Attached you will find the Revised School Year 2017-18 calendar. These changes take effect on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 and conclude on June 7, 2018 the anticipated final day of classes. This is the new official SY 2017-18 Academic Calendar for TWA and is subject to changes announced by the Ministry of Education and the other official government communiques.
We have made changes to ensure all our students receive a high-quality education. Specifically, Year 12 students must receive an adequate day count for their instructional year before graduation. This includesa purposefulconsiderationforgrades9-11inanticipationoftheoftheHolyMonthofRamadan.Highschool students of all grades are expected to meet an instructional time minimum to transcript courses as recognized by internationaluniversities.
Please note the following changes of particular importance:
Adjustment to Winter Break:
- A slight adjustment to Winter Break is being made to allow the phase three construction team to respond to recent rain damage and still have the classrooms ready for the opening of school on January 7,2018.
- Winter Break now begins on December 20, 2017. The final day of classes will be December 19, 2017 with students and staff completing a normal attendance day ending at3:45PM.
Shortening of Spring Break:
- Please note that Spring break has been reduced to one-week in April. The Spring break begins March 30 and ends April 7. Final day of classes is March 29th, a ½day.
- Classes resume on April 8,2018.
Final Exams and Graduation Dates for Year 12 Students:
- The date of graduation is Saturday, May 12, 2018, just inside the start of the Holy Month of Ramadan.
- This allows for Exams to be held after 20 days of classes in the fourth term. Giving student adequate seat time to receive instruction before sitting for the finalexams.
- This also allows us to prepare the students transcripts for Ministry of Education approval before holding the graduationceremony.
Please review the calendar carefully as there are other changes that will effect your student and your interaction with their teacher. We understand that changes in the School Year calendar are never easy, but we feel our adjustments are in the best interest of our students and their long-term growth as the future leaders of our world.
We apologize for any inconvenience these changes may cause. We reserve the right to make further changes as required by need and requests from governing parties responsible for the oversight of schools within the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Dr. Brian Gander Superintendent